Sunday, February 5, 2017

Secret Shopper Experience


My Secret Shopper experience was middle of the road. While I did come away from the interaction with a good book, I also feel that there are aspects of the interview that could have been better. The librarian I consulted relied heavily on the computer, making only minimal eye contact with me and asking few questions to suss out what exactly I was looking for in my next book. That being said, they used a variety of tools (NoveList and, when that didn't supply satisfactory results, Goodreads), and explained these tools to me briefly as they used them. Once they'd found a suggestion, they accompanied me to the shelf to find the book, a touch I found particularly hospitable, and I left the library with a book I'm genuinely quite excited to read!

3 comments:

  1. Avery, it sounds like you left with a somewhat okay experience and you have a new book to read. While there wasn't much of an interview, at least the librarian sort of explained the tools that he or she was using to find your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Avery,

    It definitely seems as though many of us shared middle of the road experiences, at least in terms of not hitting a home run, per se. It was Almost as though there was just that one aspect of the interview missing to make it an excellent interview. Reading through our fellow classmates’ Secret Shoppers I feel it is interesting many of us left with a book in hand based on the interview, however, each of us had an interview that ranged from non-existent to sub-par, or in my case, an exceptionally personable experience with an interview which lacked appeal probing or RA tool usage. I fell it’s safe to say that regardless of our experience we all gained some insight into RA with this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that even though it was sub-par, you left with a good book. I guess that is half the battle!

    ReplyDelete